Thursday, August 18, 2005

Things in common

I share a common trait with Korean women. Korean women on screen, anyway.

Apart from the fact that I am nowhere near as pretty or cute as they are, I'm just about as violent as they are. On-screen, they tend to be quite physically violent. They like to slap and push their men around. I've only watched a handful of Korean movies - My Sassy Girl; Love, So Divine; Handyman (I think that was the title, can't remember) - and I realized that all leading ladies in those movies shove, hit, slap, whack or push their men around.

The one movie that plays the physically violent woman to the hilt is My Sassy Girl. Not only is Jeon Ji Hyun physically violent, she's also quite selfish and mean. She makes the guy exchange his trainers for her high heels and will not stop at just letting him carry her heels around the park, she makes him wear them!! She also whacks him around and does a host of other mean stuff but somehow the director manages to make her seem quite endearing at the same time. Maybe it's because she's pretty enough to let the physical abuse seem like endearment when she lays it on the poor guy.

I'm not that bad but I'm not known for being girly or refined. Mot friends (guys especially) will remember me for my violent tendencies, of which I will not elaborate.

I thought that portraying the women as physically violent was just a parody of real life. However, one Korean friend did mention that the men have to be "more pushy" because if they weren't they'd be pushed around by the women.

Got ah, like that one?

Wah. Violence begets violence?

Luckily I don't whack or kick people so much anymore. :)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin