Monday, October 31, 2005

Buffets

I rest my case.

Buffets are a waste of money. In my case anyway.

I pigged out, or at least, tried to pig out on McD's buffet with the gang last night. I ended up with a stomache ache to pay for my efforts. At RM18++, the fast food chain still makes a killing. How much can a person eat anyway? I had countless chicken nuggets, some fries, a sundae and at most, two cups of coke. Of which amount, I'm sure would not come up to RM18. The guys would probably make a decent killing of their RM18 spent.

A recent foray to The Royal Bintang at The Curve proved even more disappointing. True, the buffet was cheap - RM48++ - but it was even more dismal than McD's. Considering it's a hotel buffet. Crap local food, which they didn't even bother to refill once they were running out. I shall not go into gory details and thrash the hotel nor the buffet. It's a waste of energy.

I also took a chance on Chinoz at KLCC. RM55++ and just as disappointing as the Royale. At least McD's has the redeeming factor of being cheap. Chinoz had crap local fare (again!!) and lousy selection. I really, really am not a fan of buffets mainly because they serve the same old international or local fare. And you don't get local fare as good as at the mamak or hawker stalls. Hotels and posh establishments just don't know how to do it.

The diamond in the rough so far that totally blew my mind is Al-Marjan's at KLCC. It is Lebanese food at it's best. Generous variety, copious servings, excellent cooking, great desserts and, hold your breath, Middle Eastern coffee. Sigh...now THAT's a buffet to die for. And all for a meagre RM38++!!

I remember the chef carving up the lamb on the buffet table. At first glance I thought it was a pig (the animal was intact save for head and feet), and then I told myself, "Wait a minute, it's a halal and middle eastern restaurant, they can't be serving pork!" Imagine my delight and surprise to find out later that said juicy lamb (it was superb! tender, succulent and tasty) was stuffed a fragrant herbed rice. I almost died.

Tangy salads - eggplant in tomato based sauce, french beans, leafy greens (a generous variety, perfect for the fussy eater like my sis); delicious pastes to go with breads; various stewed meats, a variety of fragrant rice (i love the one with raisins), eggplant and more eggplant, meatballs, mmmm...I swear I could have just died there and then. Instead I went one step further, I stuffed myself sufficiently (not too much, mind you, for that would have taken away the enjoyment) and enjoyed every bite of food I set on my plate. And topped it off with two steaming espresso cups of Arabian coffee (at least I think it was Arabian), poured into my cup from a quaint Middle Eastern coffee pot by the well-mannered wait staff (or supervisor, he was wearing a tie).

One thing I must definitely say about Al-Marjan: they have NEVER disappointed me before, buffet or not. The wait staff are friendly, their food is excellent and quite authentic, I think, as I don't see any locals around. There're always the Middle Eastern guys walking in and out of the kitchen. Prices are reasonable, what more could a foodie like me want?

I continue to sing praises for this little gem. Those who haven't tasted the offerings here, please do head over and do yourself justice: Level 4, KLCC. Forget all the crap buffets out there. Al-Marjan's is the place to go!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin