Thursday, November 10, 2005

Mommy Dearest

My mother is the greatest.

She is two years shy of 60. She scaled two 4’ walls in rain just to get my dinner to me. Just because she couldn’t get me on the mobile and she didn’t want to wake me by calling on the house phone or ringing on the doorbell.

I came down with a massive cold and despite trying to nap in the late afternoon, failed to do so because of the countless calls coming in on the mobile. So by 7pm, I gave up, left my mobile in the bedroom (the only place where you can get a decent signal) and headed down to watch some TV.

Tried Veer-Zaara but the disc refused to play, so I switched to Paheli instead. It was a good choice as it was light and entertaining. I must not have heard the phone ring because halfway into the second disc, I heard someone fiddling on the front door. Thinking it was Rizal home early, I opened the door. Only to find mom in her t-shirt and shorts with a basket of food. The gate was locked and there was a slight rain.

I was baffled. Mom said she climbed the two walls from two doors away. What?!! Aiyo!! I scolded her and told her she should have called or rung the doorbell. “I didn’t want to wake you in case you were asleep.” Aiyo!!

“Wah, your mother not bad, ah!” she congratulated herself. “Sixty already and still fit enough to climb the wall!”

My mother!

So I gave her the keys and remote control to my house and gate so she would not have to climb the neighbour’s brick wall fence again. And almost give me a heart attack.

My mother.

The greatest.

I must remember to be more thoughtful and nicer to her.

Sigh, my mother.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! your mother is almost 60?? get outta here!!! she looks too young! perhaps i should send my mom to your mom for some training :) my mom is way too sheltered but of course i love her all the same (mummy if you are reading this, its NOT what you think)

Ashkarya said...

Hahah, my mom would put your mom through tortuous health programs: eat right, exercise, etc.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin