Thursday, December 29, 2005

Chiang Mai: Jolted Out Of Sleep

I drifted out of the fog of sleep only to hear a man’s grunt from Topaz II, the room next to ours. My eyes popped wide open. The wooden wall between our cabins was going to pose a problem. The man’s grunts intensify. I’m thinking of how sound travels and reflects from the smooth cream tiles of the neighbour’s floor, seeping under the connecting door from their room into mine. A few more grunts (I’m trying my level best to catch a moan from his lady partner but I don’t hear anything, so does that mean it’s just him that’s getting all the fun?). Beside me Rizal’s snoring in oblivion. I poke him in the ribs and whisper, “The neighbours are having sex.” He blinks at me blurrily, mutters, listens a bit and drifts off.

One final triumphant grunt and they’re done. The whole episode didn’t take more than 10 minutes. I continue to stare at the ceiling, past the mosquito net covering our bed. The curtains are drawn across the floor to ceiling windows around the foot of the bed in our wooden cabin (I call it a cabin but the hotel calls it Topaz III) among the lush greenery of shrubs and plants all around us in a quaint little spa resort in a village just on the outer fringes of Chiang Mai city.

It’s cold, easily below 20 degrees, the room isn’t heated and I snuggle further into and under the covers.

So this is what an early morning fuck sounds like. It behooves me to imagine how people can do this first thing in the morning. For me, I need to at least get to the loo to empty that full bladder before anything else can happen.

Another thought crosses my mind: quaint as it is, if I’m going to have to put up with unwanted audio feedback of my neighbours screwing, I’ll have to think twice about coming back to this hotel. That, and be more proactive in choosing places to stay when we go on holiday, rather than leave it to the hubby.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin