Friday, December 30, 2005

Chiang Mai: Pharmacies

Armed with hubby’s leaky nose, we bravely got into a cab and went in search of a pharmacy in the city. Actually, it was more like we told the receptionist, “We want to take a taxi to the Night Bazaar.” Why a cab? Well, the resort is far enough from the city to warrant a 5-10 minute ride (depending on traffic). Walking is out of the question.

Our cab dropped us off somewhere along the Night Bazaar, coincidentally right in front of a local pharmacy. At first glance, I thought we’d stumbled into a Chinese medical hall. The glass display cases and the interior of the pharmacy were akin to that of a Chinese medical hall: dark and somewhat dingy, not at all like the brightly lit Apex or Watsons or Guardians at home but on closer inspection, I found I was wrong.

Let me just say this about Thai pharmacies: I LOVE them!!

You can obtain any form of Western medication right off the counter without a prescription. It’s amazing!! Everything is displayed on the shelves at the wall or in the glass display cases and all you need to do is point. Or tell them the name. And they’ll whip it out and give it to you. Assuming you pay, of course. There was high blood pressure medication, prescription laxatives, heart medication, birth control pills, medication I only ever saw in the USA but not in Malaysia like Tyelnol and drugs I never thought existed. It’s amazing!! I was astounded. My eyes were practically boggling in my head and I kept saying to Rizal, “Wow!! Look at all the drugs! They have everything here. Wow!! And you can get everything off the shelf! WOW!! I love this place!”.

It was a druggy’s heaven. I could have overdosed just from looking at all the prescription drugs available. Hubby almost had to drag me away from the pharmacy after we’d purchased our necessary toiletries and his Clarinese.

Our neighbours never cease to amaze and surprise me, druggy’s heaven indeed!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin