Thursday, December 08, 2005

Light My Fire

I caved in yesterday. I could not stand another minute of having the cold, white light shining down on me in my bedroom (hubby likes white light, so the haus is bathed in surgical white down lights; the only sources of yellow light are the dining table light and the kitchen cabinet lights).

Plus I was getting close to desperate with fruitless shopping around for tolerably stylish standing and table lamps.

So I stepped into Ikea.

I had already decided to buy at least 1 standing light to place next to my side of the bed: the Samtid at a reasonable RM129. I was pleasantly surprised that they’d added on to their range of table and standing lamps, mainly table lamps. I was tempted to get a pair of table lamps and maybe an extra Samtid. But uncharacteristically, I managed to stop myself from buying more than just the lamp I wanted. I figured, we don’t even have our bedside tables yet, where the hell am I going to put the table lamps? The lamps on display at Ikea are not gonna sprout legs and walk away, so I can just sit it out until we at least get a bedside table or two.

Excitedly I paid for my purchase, lugged the package home and straight away got down to the business of setting the lamp up. This is the part that I enjoy most: putting the furniture together. It’s similar to fixing a jigsaw puzzle: figure out which piece goes where and voila! you have a whole working lamp.

I was immensely satisfied with the warm yellow glow that the lamp cast on my side of the bed. I love yellow light. It’s so warm and inviting. And I could move the lampshade up or down, sideways or diagonally. Perfect for reading in bed!

I was so happy with it, I left it on in my bedroom till I got ready for my nightly read before sleep.

Sigh…bliss.

If only every shopping spree ended up with such a perfect purchase.



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin