Monday, January 16, 2006

Yut Kee's 78th

Yut Kee had a blast yesterday. We celebrated its 78th anniversary. Wow! The shop is a septuagenarian!! And a damn popular one at that.

I was fashionably early. Some of the old timers were already there by the time I got there at about 4pm, but they don’t count. They’re old timers. I munched on toasted bread with kaya as Merv regaled me with an amusing account of his stag night with the gang last Friday. Somebody other than him got some heavy action that night.

Azwan was the first of the bunch to arrive. Also fashionably early I may say, at around 5pm. The rest were hopeless, arriving between 7pm till 8.30pm. We stuffed ourselves with mutton curry, satay, curry puffs and putumayam. Oh, there was also papapdam and salsa. Of course, beer too.

I had fun lugging the Seagull and toting the LCA around. I must have looked some kinda awful. Sometime towards the later part of the evening, one of the aunties asks me as I walk by, “Are you from Calsberg?” Huh? I vehemently shook my head and exclaimed, “No, auntie, no!”. I don’t know where she got the idea. Yes, we were serving Carlsberg to everyone and no, I was not in a skin tight miniskirt nor white tanktop. I wouldn’t be caught dead in a get-up as an alcoholic drinks promoter.

I will never live down the nickname of Carlsberg Girl as the auntie excitedly told Merv and the gang as she was leaving, “I thought she was from Carlsberg!” and the gang burst into hilarious laughter. Sheesh!

I hope the shots from the Seagull turn out. They’ll be worth having been thought of as the Carlsberg girl, bbrrrrrr!

Did I mention that one of the old uncles got up on the chair and serenaded uncle and Merv? He should have been the Carlsberg boy! He had on a matching Cobra outfit: Black cap, black collared t-shirt tucked into black shorts (and we’re talking shorts here, not the type of surf longs our generation wears) topped off with bright yellow socks and black shoes.

Long live Yut Kee!!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin