Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Sugar low

There is a serious sugar shortage in the city. I say this because a friend who’s in the F&B business had to cut down his cake production because he couldn’t get enough sugar from his regular suppliers. He went on a last minute shopping spree at Tesco and Giant last night to buy enough supplies to sustain his baking for a while. Sugar buying at Tesco was limited to 2kg per person; at Giant the limit is 6kg.

You know the situation is dire when they start putting a limit on how much of that item you can buy. And when supplies are fast running out.

I stopped by at Cold Storage Ikano to see if I could help him out with sugar supplies. I needn’t have bothered. The shelves and racks were devoid of sugar. So I picked up some Camembert instead.

I dropped by Cineleisure to see if I could get tickets to Pixar’s Cars since it’s due out on the 8th. The girl at the counter told me that their schedule was not updated yet. WTF? I asked her when would I be able to purchase tickets for the show. She asked me to come back on Thursday itself. She could not give me a positive answer as to when their booking schedule would be updated. She did give me a phone booking line to call in case I wanted to book the tickets online.

I walked away from The Curve disappointed on two fronts: no sugar, no tickets.

And then later that night I received a text message from that same friend saying that he’s convinced sugar supply is being controlled by racketeers; his dad was offered a consignment worth 2500kg.

It’s a mad, mad world when people take to hoarding sugar.


1 comment:

(nothingness) said...

hey ash!!!!!!! faiz here. why are not updating your lomohome ah?

melbourne is so cold.. i got bored, so i got myself a new blog (and a jacket, and some cds)

hmm, i should learn to write more coherently

take care there.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin