Thursday, June 15, 2006

What on earth are our children listening to on national radio these days?

Fly.fm is one of my favourite radio channels. The radio in my car is set on default to 95.8. However, as fly as the DJs may seem, the things they say sometimes really do work me up into a tiff.

This morning, Fly Guy and Nat were commenting on the World Cup or something along those lines, and Fly wraps up with “…mein frau and fraulitas!”

As I sit and wait for the red light to turn to green, it strikes me that DJs really should make up their minds what language they want to convey their message across in and what it is they want to say. After all, they are on national radio.

So there I am, wondering if he realized what he said and what an idiot he sounded like. If he’d meant to complete that phrase in German, which should translate to Ladies and Gentlemen, then there is no such word as fraulita in German. It’s like an inebriated German bloke who, trying to impress his Spanish date ends up mixing the two languages together. I think “…mein frau und herren” would have been the operative phrase here. Fraulita? Might have well said fajita! He would have sounded less like an idiot.

It really irks me that DJs don’t think before they talk. Yes, a fair amount of spontaneity is required but what kind of fodder are they presenting on national radio when a DJ refers to Beyonce as “thunder thighs” Beyonce? She is the most normal looking woman among the sea of stick-thin Paris Hiltons of the entertainment world! And we wonder why our young women are afflicted with eating disorders when DJs comment on a gorgeous sexy, curvy woman as having thunder thighs. God forbid a woman should have a little meat on her legs, or her behind, for that matter.

You’re on air! Take a little bit more responsibility for what you say to the masses, for gawd’s sake!




1 comment:

Ai Ling said...

ahahah!!!! I heard that too!!!!!! I was like "huh, wat..??"

Blog Widget by LinkWithin