Sunday, July 09, 2006

Cooking towards the finals

Following Germany’s 3-1 defeat of Portugal at third place play-offs last night, we were understandably in bed till past 1pm today. Well, at least I was. Rizal didn’t hit the sheets till 11am. His plan was to stay up and make us a breakfast of French toast.

With Schweinsteiger’s goals resounding in my memory, I ended up spending the day cooking.

First, porridge to finish up the fish that’s been sitting in the freezer since two weeks ago. That was to be our lunch. I didn’t get to taste it till 4pm while watching a rerun of Il Mare. I’d started out with Crying Out Love in the Centre of the World but I’d seen it before and I didn’t feel like going through high-school love. Somewhere one-thirds into the show, Rizal woke up and helped finish up the porridge. It was good. The porridge, that is.

And then I got into a baking fit. It’s easy when you have ready mixes. We had Betty Crocker’s Choc chip cookie mix and Krusteaz Lemon Poppyseed Muffin mix. Just add eggs and water/butter, mix and voila! you have a batch of cookies and muffins. Easier even than Jamie or Nigella.

The kitchen was littered with muffin pans (I used two) and biscuit trays when I was done. The muffins turned out splendidly and Rizal pronounced the cookies excellent.

And now we’re off to The Curve for a leisurely evening walk. Hopefully we’ll beat the crowd heading to Ikea for their midnight sale. I hope to stay awake for the final tonight. It’s a once in four years affair. That alone should be worth it for me to stay up.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin