Friday, July 21, 2006

Working myself to the ground

I was talking to a client today about how stressful we tend to make our own lives, all because of work. We work, work, work and work. In the midst of it all, we neglect our bodies: we forget to eat (yes, impossible as it may seem, that is happening to me more frequently these days), we get worked up over issues, we rush our projects and deadlines, we spend less time relaxing in general.

I told her we have to take breaks and step back, take a breather once in a while. My favourite line: work will never finish, it is never-ending, so we must pace ourselves. We must remind ourselves that our bodies really have no spare parts lying around. We can’t overhaul our bodies like we overhaul our cars. So prevention really is better than cure.

I was going on and on and on and on, and she patiently listened and acquiesced.

It’s past 7pm now and I realize, I’m not bothered to eat dinner; I really have to finish up my comparison tables, I’m planning on bringing work home tonight because it’s a pressing issue that I’ll have to discuss with the management team on Monday, and to top it all off, I have to start instilling a more disciplined sales culture with my team.

Now tell me, is it any wonder that my appetite has flown out the door?

And I realized, “Damn! So much for giving people advice, look at what I’m doing to my own body!”

Doi! Such a dodo.



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin