Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Not Just A Number

I've been going to Thai Odyssey at 1U for regular leg massages. It's not the cheapest place in my area but I like the ambience and the convenience of doing my groceries either before or after a massage session.

Ever since I got my first leg cramp, I thought pampering myself to regular massages ought to improve the blood circulation to and in the general area. While I'm not sure about the general results, my lower legs have benefited from the massage oil that the masseuse uses: they feel smoother and softer than they've ever felt in my entire life. The sessions are so relaxing that I usually doze off for the hour that I'm ensconced in the reclining chair.

I was lucky enough to find a lady masseuse whose style I prefered after a few rounds of massages. I usually ask for her by name. Her touch is just nice: not too hard yet not too soft nor limpid when she massages. She's got powerful thumbs that she puts to good use during the shoulder massage.

I realised today that even though I refer to and request her by name, she also goes by an index number: 656. That number was written next to my name when I made a reservation today. I only bothered to look at the reservation list today because I'd specified the wrong time. Luckily she was available.

Almost towards the end of my session, I overheard a man speak to the receptionist. He confirmed that he requested #656 and that his wife wanted #691. He sounded like a regular. Somehow the conversation and the way he referred to the masseuse by index numbers and not by name seemed callous and disrespectful. He was polite and sounded soft-spoken but to not even bother to ask someone's name and remember it so that you can request for the person next time seemed somewhat uncompassionate.

To me, the masseuse are human beings and deserve to at least be called on by name by their patrons. I would understand if the employer assigned an ID number to an employee but to have a client refer to the service provider by number and not by name just didn't seem quite humane.

No doubt these service providers are not local, they're Thai and some people might deem they are "lesser" citizens of the country. I wonder what that man would feel if he were to be referred to by one of his clients by ID number instead of by his name.

For performing a service that ensures our well-being, the least these women deserve is to be called by name and not some index number. I don't expect them to be paid much by their local employer, therefore I make sure that I leave a tip for the person who's given me my relaxing foot massage. I know of at least one other patron who does so. But I wonder if the other patrons spare a thought for these women?

In any case, I wonder if we KL-ites have lost our capacity for compassion? Or is it just me being a tad sensitive?




No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin