Friday, January 11, 2008

Earthlings : I

A friend sent this to me via Facebook. This is a documentary titled 'Earthlings' and it's narrated by Joaquin Phoenix. The documentary is split into three parts. It's not an easy programme to watch. It is very, very painful. It's as bad, no, actually, worse than the time I watched the video of the Indonesians slaughtering turtles live and I hyperventilated and started bawling not even 5 minutes into the documentary. It was being shown at a SEATRU gathering a few years back at an art gallery in KL. They had to stop the video and I had to be taken outside for a breath of fresh air. They didn't show it again. Then I didn't have to watch the whole thing. This time I forced myself to watch it all, at least the first part.

I've only included that first part of this documentary here. There's only so much I can take in one sitting. It's slightly over 30 minutes long and by the time I got to the part where they were dumping the stray dog live into the garbage truck compactor, I was hyperventilating.

If you think that slaughtering animals the kosher way is really less painful to the animals, think again. Watch this. It's more kosher not to eat meat. We just aim to reassure ourselves that the animals feel the least pain; ultimately, if you need to kill an animal to eat it, there is no inhumane way to do it, especially not when industry, economics and the human nature are involved.

Anyone who enjoys their meat should at least get a good idea of how it gets to their table and where it comes from. You at least owe it to the animal who suffered and died to be your food.




3 comments:

Dean Arif said...

Glad you saw that video... Wanna turn vegetarian like us the Arif family?

Ashkarya said...

i am quite seriously considering it. you can be sure if and when i do, i'll be turning to you guys for more info and support :)

Anonymous said...

maybe you should show it to the parents, then we'll all turn veggie ;-)

And no, i didn't watch the video. I know for a fact that I won't be able to take it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin