Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Me No Eat Dog

Earlier in the month, I'd sent an email to Lauren Myracle after I'd read Bliss. One of her characters, Sandy, had said that in Malaysia, we eat dogs. So I wrote to her to tell her I wouldn't eat my pet dog, even though I suspected that she'd written that line in to illustrate just how crazy her character is. Just thought I'd be a little vocal and seek confirmation. Here's what she replied:


Oh, you sweetie, I was *absolutely* trying to make the point that Sandy is...well...a bit crazy! (And if you've finished the novel, you know that she's actually A LOT crazy...)

I am soooooo sorry if you were the slightest bit offended. Authors most definitely DON'T agree with everything their characters say/believe.

I'm glad you liked the book, though! (And sounds like you already suspect on your own that Sandy spoke for herself and not for me, so that's good.)

Cheers,
Lauren



Not bad, eh? Pretty cool, in fact. Me writing and her replying.

My first correspondence with an author. Wow!


5 comments:

Ivan Lim said...

actually, in some chinese kampungs, they still do.
but got to agree that it's hard to find.

though, it's not as controversial to say, 'in vietnam, they eat dogs. every month. and in every style imaginable'

i believe the correct term for malaysia would be 'in malaysia, they blow up models with C4'

Ling said...

WOW!!! She actually replied???!!! :-O

This is sooooo cool!!!!

I wanna read that book!!!!! Did u buy it or borrow it??

Ashkarya said...

ivan: sure ah, they eat dogs in the kampong? you also forgot korea. :)

ling: cool, no? bliss was borrowed. dunno if you'll like the book, it's kinda a creepy horror-ish story.

Freebooterz said...

Actually I'm just back from Korea and it's not done there anymore either, Koreans are sure of it... :p

marineko said...

freebooterz: really ah? then how come my korean friends still eat dog? (they say that they don't eat the same breed they keep as pets - pedigrees are pets, mongrels are for eating?)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin