Tuesday, August 16, 2005

slightly off kilter

There is something about the way a person uses the windshield wipers of a car that annoys the living daylights out of me.

I don't know what it is, I think I'm just slightly demented about this (Slightly? I think this may be an understatement).

I wrote about this sometime ago on my lomo blog about how irritated I can get, especially when the person is driving my car. Well, that happened again over the weekend.

Hubby was driving my car when it started drizzling, then pouring, then drizzling again. The thing about windshield wipers is, if there's no rain or water or just a slight drizzle, I'll turn the wipers off till the screen gets really blotchy. Some people turn on the wipers and just totally forget about them and leave them on even though the rain has ceased or has slowed to a drizzle.

For some inexplicable reason, I find that utterly, infuriatingly annoying. And if the windshield wiper control were on the left side of the steering wheel, I'd reach over and turn it off myself. If not, I'd snap at the driver or grumble till the cows come home.

If there's no water to get rid of, why leave the darned wipers on? It's esepcially irritating when there's an audible "whup, whup, whup" when the wipers go across the screen.

Since we were ferrying guests around (and I didn't want to look like a naggy, hen-pecking wife), it took all the restraint I could muster to just tell hubby ONCE to turn off the wiper. He left it on again after another bought of downpour slowed down to a drizzle. I had to sit on my arm (which so wanted to reach over and give him a smack) and bite my tongue (which wanted to snap, "turn the wiper off! can't you see there's no rain?") so as not to appear the monster wife to our friends in the back seat. The rubber was practically streaking across the screen, almost screeching as they went. Still he left them on! AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!

I had to endure at least 5 minutes of watching the wipers pass blindly in front of me before hubby noticed the lack of rain and turned the blurdy things off. Luckily my butt is heavy enough to keep my hands to myself. Next time, I'm driving my car myself. It would spare me needless anguish.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you see, the driver's usually concentrating on driving, so when he/she's in the zone, its hard to notice anything else.. much less wipers. ;)

Ashkarya said...

you DO have to look at the screen to concentrate on the road, right? How can one NOT notice the wipers when you're looking at the screen to look at the road??!!!

Anonymous said...

Its called tunnel vision dear.. ;)

Ashkarya said...

i rest my case. men! bah!

Anonymous said...

Typical woman.. always needs to have the last say. Blah!!

Anonymous said...

I totally relate to your annoyance. That's exactly what I do, 'cos those cheap (under RM100) wipers scab away with awful rubber grub sounds when they's not enough rain. But, honey, it's called being ANAL. And I have my fair share. Hmm, this is mighty interesting. I just read your Blog on Ai Ling... Looks like you two are more alike than I thought, hah! *snicker*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin