Friday, September 30, 2005

Cleared!

It’s amazing what a squirt of nasal spray and a prescription of mild steroids can do.

The left ear got blocked after a bout of flu. I knew there was fluid behind the eardrum in the Eustachian tube. I could feel it sloshing around whenever I tilted or moved my head. Not only was it uncomfortable but it impaired my hearing. I felt like I was walking around with an earplug jammed in.

After two weeks of hemming and hawing, I finally got my referral letter from the GP to see Dr. Soni at Selangor Medical Centre. Dr. Soni is a dear. He not only took out my long-suffering T-tubes from my ears, he has been treating me and my case with utmost patience.

Note to June: next time if you have ear problems, you should try seeing this doctor. For my stuffed ear, he prescribed me nasal spray, clarinese and prednisolone, which contains steroids. I asked him about the need for steroids and he explained that the steroids in prednisolone and the nasal spray would help loosen the muscles in the ear so that I could try blowing my nose and popping the ear. Popping the ear would help expend the fluid out from the inner ear. I had not been able to pop the left ear at all since it had gotten stuffed. So he sent me home with the prescription and told me to see him again if the ear doesn’t clear up in two weeks.

I tried popping my ear last night after taking the meds. It didn’t work. Today after I had popped in the pills, I waited the prescribed 10 minutes before pinching and then blowing my nose.

Eureka! My left ear started experiencing some action. First there was a gurgling, then it started popping. Woohooo! I was on a roll, so I blew some more. More gurgling, and then I felt a rush of fluid gushing out from my ear. All that gunk stuck in there and finally some of it is out. Immediately my hearing is better. At the rate I’m going, it will take less than two weeks to clear out.

So June, if you’re reading this, it’s not necessary to go for an op to insert the damn tubes. I’d suggest you just go and see Dr. Soni and get him to prescribe you some nasal spray and pills, and you’re ready to go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pling!! You can finally submerge in water with no fear now! woohoo!!! beach holiday? heh :) thanks for the info. Will definitely go see Dr Soni. My tube will only be taken out when cupid strikes next year. Guess i'll just wait till then.

Ashkarya said...

nolah, can't submerge. the other ear still has hole in the eardrum. may go for surgery to patch it up. then can go underwater.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin