Sunday, November 20, 2005

My Take On Harry Potter

The latest HP movie left me wanting. There were too many gaps and there were times during the movie I found myself wondering, "Wasn't there supposed to be more before this happened?" or "Hah, we're here already? So fast?".

True, there were bits that had to be left out, if not the movie would have been four hours long, but the cuts ought to have been smoother in transition. I'll give Mike Newell one thing though, he came up with a good vision of Voldemort. The kids have all grown up; Hermione's turning into a lovely young lady, Harry's facial features look more chiseled, and Ron, Ron is well, quite ugly actually, the poor thing.

One scene which I thought was wholly unecessary was the long drawn out bathroom scene with Moaning Myrtle. I mean, she gave him the clue and all, get on with it. Newell chose to focus on that bit of the story when he could have put more oomph into Goblet of Fire with more scenes of Cedric, Krum and Fleur fighting their own dragons.

Overall, I still prefer Cuaron's Prisoner of Azkaban. It was dark but he managed to infuse some colour into his version. And it didn't seem as disjointed as Newell's Goblet of Fire. Or should I say, Gelas Berapi. Duh, the people who sub really should be more creative in coming up with their titles. Gelas Berapi indeed. Harry Potter and the Glass of Fire. Sheesh.

Oh well, I won't spoil the movie too much for those who haven't watched it.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin