Monday, December 05, 2005

Borders @ The Curve

I was gonna diss the Borders @ The Curve.

No really, I was.

As is with most bookstores, I head for the YA or kiddy book section of the bookstore the moment I step into it. I stopped by the islands propped up in the middle of the path on the way to the kiddy section.

"Not bad," I thought to myself. They look like they've got almost as good a selection as Kino.

And then I turn into the kiddy section. Immediately I disliked the way they organized the books: in alphabetical order by author but still the authors were jumbled up. And I could not find the YA books as the shelves had tags that said 'Ages 8-12'. I circled the kiddy section a few times but could not find Louise Rennison of Angus & Full Frontal Snogging fame. Neither could I find Libba Bray, which was a mystery to me as they had her first book, A Great & Terrible Beauty up front in the islands. Patricia C. Wrede was also nowhere in sight. Rick Riordan was mixed up with Gary Paulsen. Huh?

I was convinced that Borders was another con. Had already given up and picked up Peter Carey's Wrong About Japan. Went on a quick round in the CD section. Could not find Shakira's Oral Fixation II. Took the elevator downstairs and was gonna pay but the line was too long.

I headed back upstairs since I remember that the counters were less busy. I was at the counter with my wallet out and ready to pay when the guy at the counter gave me the clincher: if I bought one more book, I was entitled to a 15% discount. Sigh...I am not one to give up on discounts especially for books. So I reluctantly but quite excitedly headed off to the shelves again to see what I would willingly buy to get a 15% discount.

I passed the islands again. I was seriously contemplating Clive Barker's second book of Abarat when I chanced upon the Young Adult section just off the islands. I had missed them completely!! And there I was looking high and low for the YA section in the 8-12 section. AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!

I was affronted by a YA section that could almost (and I mean ALMOST because I reserve my favourite for Kino; they still have a better - should i say best? - selection and arrangement of YA and kiddy books). Spinelli, Bray, Rennison, Cabot, Bauer, Frank and more in all their glory. Sigh...heaven!

I have to stop buying books.

I really have to.

I have to stop, stop, STOP!!

STOP!!

That outburst was brought on by my ending up buying the whole of Patricia C. Wrede's boxed set of The Enchanted Forest Chronicles. All four books. And the only reason I ended buying them was because Kino had not replied to my email request for an order of the same boxed set.

I still can't believe I bought the boxed set and Peter Carey just to get a 15% discount. I walked away from Borders RM110 poorer and one needless bargain book richer (it was the spawn of a lucky dip that I'd earned from spending RM100 and above).

So, as I was saying...

I was prepared to diss Bprders @ The Curve.

Keyword here is: was.

In all fairness, I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised by Borders' YA selection. It's 8-12 selection is measly and badly arranged by far, compared to Kino's. And of course, Kino still has the wider selection in YA than Borders. But for a start, Borders is doing pretty fine.

I still don't understand why they separated the YA from the kids. There shouldn't be an age discrimination as I would read books from both sections. It's quite dumb really.

I would still count Kino as my favourite. They've got a great book-wrapping service going for them and their staff are the friendliest by far. But as a neighbourhood bookstore (Borders @ The Curve is only 5 mins away from my house), I wouldn't mind dropping in at Borders for a quickie. And this Borders is gonna KILL MPH. If MPH doesn't die a slow and agonizing death, they're gonna either languish into obscurity or die a quick but painful death. If you don't know what I mean, just go ahead and step into the MPH at The Curve, then drop by at Borders on the same floor.

Judging by the various promotions that Borders is spewing out - 15% discount on normal priced books, another RM15 off your next purchase the next month, lucky dips, etc. Kino had better come up with a plan to counter the aggressive marketing efforts put out by the team at Berjaya.

So there you have it. I didn't diss Borders. Even though I thought the first Borders store at Berjaya Times Square was absolute CRAP.

I think I'll give this one at The Curve a fighting chance.

For now.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin