Saturday, March 25, 2006

My cats can tell time

I am convinced my brown cows can tell time. Well, at the very least they can tell when the weekend comes rolling around and it’s time for me to let them out into the back garden for a frolic or two. Seriously, I never thought cats could tell the different days in the week. Today however, I am inclined to think differently.

Instead of hollering and yowling for their food in the morning as they are wont to do most mornings, today they yowled to go out. I know this only because they did not even bother to look at their kibble when I poured it into their bowls. Only Meg was hungry enough to eat. That, and because she’s not hard-up on heading out to catch some sun, unlike the two brown cows.

Today the brown cows rushed down the stairs, stopped at the carpet and didn’t even bother to follow me to their food. They just hovered around the edge of the carpet, waiting for me to head into the kitchen. Which I did, of course, for a drink of water. When they saw that I wasn’t heading toward the kitchen door, they started up a racket again. Well, mostly the girl anyway. “Yowl, meowr, reowr!” said she, a furball of whines. When it became clear that I wasn’t budging, even the boy started joining in the ruckus.

They did not attempt to leave the kitchen. They hovered and hung around, willing me by their extreme cuteness and adorableness to let them out the kitchen door. I was still too sleep-deprived to pay any attention to them. I had bigger things to worry about: how to jolt myself awake to get into work without tripping over my feet.

So I roused hubby from his slumber and told him my amazing discover, that the kitties could tell when the weekend was. He just mumbled, “Really?” and went back to sleep.

I left for work still amazed that my brown cows are actually quite smart. I wonder what they will do next? Start to speak to me maybe? Then I’d REALLY freak out.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin