Tuesday, April 25, 2006

In the name of pets

In keeping with the pet line of talk as per sis’ blog, yes…I think pets make a difference in a person’s life and yes, that it sucks that pets live far shorter lives than we do. I’ve always held the belief that dying is easier on the one doing the dying than the one being left behind. The same holds true for pets who leave us when their time is due.

The furry things in my house make a difference to my life because they’re the only live things with me when I’m home alone (which is becoming more of a norm nowadays). Unlike my sis’ cats, mine generally come when called. And the brown girl likes to be carried up and down the stairs whenever I go from bedroom to living room or vice versa. A different point of view, I guess? Meg likes to lick, which irritates me at times because a cat’s tongue is not something you want licking your leg. It’s like rubbing your leg with sandpaper, urgh! The brown boy is a gas to look at or to bully. He’ll plop on his back and expose his distended belly for all the world to see and I could basically poke, prod, push and shove him and he’ll still be this adoring puff of a brown fluff.

If I know I’m going to be out late at night, I try to stop by at home to feed the kitties first; I only give them enough food in the morning for one meal. The boy will gobble up everyone else’s food if there is too much left out. I have starved them on occasion but not very often.
Their other special traits are that almost all three of them will verbally communicate with me. Frankly, I have no idea what they’re saying but they usually answer me word for word when I “talk” to them. It is quite interesting. Any other person would probably think I’m off my rockers but well, like I said, they’re the only company in the house these days.

Better yet, the boy hold sentry in the bathroom when I shower. He waits near the sliding door or on the bathroom mat. He tends to the clingy side at times but it’s all good. Nothing beats a cat following you around.

In my current lifestyle I tend towards cats because they require minimum care, some attention and for the most part, are happily independent. Though my cats seem to lean towards dog-like characters at times (they come when called, even when I let them out in the back garden and they tend to be clingier than most cats). Unlike dogs, I don’t have to bathe them regularly, take them for walks or put up with a stinky dog smell if they are not washed. They require less attention as well. The kitties will find ways of amusing themselves and luckily, that doesn’t include sharpening their claws on the couch.

I can’t imagine what I’d do if the kitties are not around. I imagine I’d be devastated. I hope that won’t be anytime soon within the next 10 years.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin