Friday, April 07, 2006

Stagnating in Wolverhampton

Wolverhampton is dead. After 5:30pm anyway. Unless you’re a pub crawler, there’s really not much to do. It’s too far a train ride (approx. 40 mins) to Birmingham, which is the most happening place on this side of the Midlands outside of London.

It is during times like this and in places like this that I’m thankful I live in the suburbs of KL. At least I can be assured of somewhere to go and something to do after 6pm.

WIFI is only available in the lounge of the hotel I’m staying in: Britannia Hotel. So I can’t very well head down in my pyjamas in the middle of the night.

When I arrived at Wolverhampton station, I wasn’t sure how far the hotel was from the train station, plus I had a really heavy suitcase to lug around (courtesy of the 2 packs of 2kg bags of milo I’m bringing my cousin) so I got a cab. When I got into the cab and told the driver I was headed to Britannia, he looked at me like I was insane? “Britannia?” he asked. Yes, I said. “It’s so near to the station!” he exclaimed. I was adamant on not having to lug around the blurdy suitcase after I’d lugged it up and down the Virgin trains from Watford Junction and during the one transfer at Birmingham International.

The taxi ride took all of 30 seconds. When they said the hotel was near on their website, they weren’t kidding. So I paid 3 pounds to the cab driver and had to find somewhere to hide my head. Hey, but anyway, he made an easy 3 pounds.

It is now 8pm and I am not sure where I’ll be scrounging around for dinner. If I’m adventurous, I’ll head to a pub, if not, I may take out a Subway. Nando’s yesterday was nothing spectacular. There was 1 chinese restaurant but it was not open yesterday. There are various pizza parlours and kebab places. There is an upmarket Indian restaurant. I am not sure what I’m up for. I shall have to take another walk around to decide.

I hope I get a better sleep tonight and not get awakened by the double deckers passing out my 1st floor window.

2 comments:

Ai Ling said...

Wolverhampton??? ehehe, i've heard of their football club lar. 2KGs of Milo???!!!! They dun sell Milo there ah??? Even US and Toronto also got Milo ler... hehe

Someone got suckered!!!!!!! Waaaa, 3 pounds = RM21??? Wat's the exchange rate ah???

Ashkarya said...

:p dunno. harry says no milo. so i lug lorr.

yes, about RM21 for a 30sec ride. what to do?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin