Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Kitties no longer allowed

Rizal and I have established a new routine and it's one which I feel somewhat guilty about; we no longer allow the kitties access into the bedroom. This after my bout of sneezing, sniffling, snuffling fits where I stopped my nasal spray and anti-histamines cold turkey for three months.

It's only been two nights and the guilty feeling is not going away. The cats normally spend the night sharing our bed, well, at least two of them do: Meg and Pixel. Pixel takes the foot of the bed in between or against Rizal's legs. Meg likes to mosey on close by next to my chest or my pillow. It's Meg's closeness I can't stand, mainly because she sheds so much fur.

During the daytime, they get full run of the bedroom and take over the bed, the bathroom mat and, basically well, the whole room. Trixie had also taken to conquering Rizal's side of the bed as compared to before when she claimed my reading chair for her own. Every night, I have to make sure I roll the bed with my trusty lint remover, thereafter known as fur remover before we retire for the night.

I must say that it's a relief not to have to roll the bed anymore; also not to have to wake up sometime in the middle of the night to find an unwanted ball of fur next to me.

But I am plagued by the kitties' wake-up wails in the morning. Pixel especially, makes it a point to wail outside our bedroom door after or slightly before my alarm goes off. I also dread to think of the shed fur collecting on various parts of the couch where Meg might have parked herself for the night or the parts of the day when we are off at work.

My reasoning is that we don't see them for that many hours in the day anyway, so what's the harm in allowing them to sleep close by in the night? They deserve as much for being alone most of the day.

The consenus isn't out yet on whether this will be a long term arrangement. But I'm a known softie. It doesn't make much of a difference to Rizal because 90% of the time, I'm the one rolling the bed and his nose isn't as vulnerable as mine.

I foresee the furballs taking control of the bedroom again before long.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin