Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Experiencing the growth spurt I never did during puberty

It's a good thing growth spurts only occur at certain specific times in your life: puberty and pregnancy. I never had one during puberty, having reached my height potential by 5' and stopped growing by the time I was 11.

The latter growth spurt, the one that happens during pregnancy, is actually quite frightening. At least, that's what I feel as I go to bed with my belly a certain size and then waking up 7 or 8 hours later to a different rounder, bigger size. I'm loathe to note that this is only Week 17 of my numbered weeks and already I'm wondering how I'm going to cope with anything bigger than a honeydew melon stuck between my pelvis and my chest. Suddenly those maternity pants I bought about a week or two ago don't seem so big anymore.

It suddenly dawned on me that my encounter with mild diarrhea yesterday might have been my body's way of preparing itself for the imminent swelling and taking up of valuable shelf space between the internal organs. It's like the uterus telling the intestines and bowels, "Hey, growing baby in here. Make space!"

But then again, it may have just been the rib-eye steak from Monday's dinner and the result of stuffing my face during lunch yesterday.

Who knows? I've got a ways to go and I'm not kidding when I say I feel more than a slight twinge of alarm at how I could possibly cope later on. And we're not even talking about labour yet.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin