Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Pregnant or fat?

An aqcuaintance I hadn't met in over a year thought I was fat rather than pregnant. It all started when we sat down for teh tarik and he advised me not to drink so much calorie-infused teh tarik because I had a belly to show for it.

I didn't know whether to be insulted or amused; I stuck with the latter. That's when I dropped the bomb and told him I was already going along 6 months.

He looked genuinely surprised. He's married with three teenaged kids (I thought married people can spot pregnancies from a mile away?), therefore, he has a load of wisdom and experience to dish out so of course he felt it was his duty to enlighten me.

Here's part of his list:

1. If we're still having sex, hubby better be wearing a condom coz we don't want to take any chances of me catching an infection. "You never know where guys have put their hands before and after they go to the loo. We're generally more resilient because we're not the ones who are moist all the time, and bacteria breeds in moist places, especially now your acidity and immunity are lower."

2. I need to stop drinking iced drinks, Chinese tea, leong char, and all this teh tarik crap. "Do you know what they put in the tea? It's loaded with colouring!" Instead I should drink more water and fruit juices.

3. Eat more fish.

4. "When you hear people arguing, walk away. It's not good for the baby. She can hear already."

5. "No watching scary or ghost stories on TV or at the cinema. It could affect the baby."

6. Keep happy.

Thanks for your concern, James. Will eat as much fish as I can for the next three months till Sophia pops out.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin