Friday, January 04, 2008

Silly Of Me But It Irks Me To No End

I was having lunch today when I noticed a woman sitting at a table in front of me; she was chewing and what got my attention was the fact that she was chewing with her mouth open and also talking at the same time. Some people when they chew, especially with their mouths open, look as if they are engaged in the most obscene activity in the whole wide world. Maybe it's just me, but I swear, if you saw this woman chewing you'd agree with me that it looked quite obscene. I don't know what it was about her chewing, can't even begin to describe it but it was gross. Almost couldn't finish my lunch.

And there's one of my pet peeves: people who chew with their mouths open. It wouldn't bug me if they managed to chew with their mouths open and not make a sound. But if we're in a quiet restaurant and I can hear you munching away in stereo surround sound and to the point of being able to tell what it is you are eating, and if I have to subject myself to that torture, I swear, I will tell you to shut your mouth.

Call me petty but my mom brought me up to chew with my mouth closed and I can see the beauty in that. I say beauty because it is: when you don't have to subject your fellow lunch or dinner mates to the full view or sound effects of what's in your mouth. It's common courtesy. I know you're eating and you don't have to demonstrate to me how fine you chew your food. Nor do I need to hear the process. I like sea food but I'd prefer not to see food.

And that's when I opened my eyes and noticed that most people eat with their mouths open. I'm not an elitist nor am I a stickler for etiquette but it did make me wonder why people weren't brought up to chew with their mouths closed.

Stick a knife in my back, but I'm gonna be sure that Sophia eats with hers nicely closed. And no chomping.



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin