Friday, January 04, 2008

Week 22 : The World Is Her Oyster (But She Prefers Her Stroller Handlebar)



Spending the holidays with her daddy in Singapore was a welcome change, for me at least. Caring for Sophie on my own takes a lot of energy and patience: it's all about her and whatever time I have left over for myself I'm glad that I can just take a breather or crash on the couch or bed. I don't know how single parents do it all on their own and still have a life.

She still looks like a boy. It doesn't matter if we dress her up in pink; she still gets mistaken for a boy. We don't have to worry about gender stereotyping at this stage I suppose; seems like no amount of pink is going to make people think she's a girl.

She still loves her stroller bar to bits. Bites on it every chance she gets, attracting amused stares when we are out at the shopping malls. She bites the thing as if her very life depended on it with her two arms gripping the bar tight, bent over the bar from a sitting position. Looking at her, people probably wonder if we haven't fed her for a few days.

She's developed this system of moving forward while she's on all fours; I call it the shuffle-hop-flop method. It's done exactly as the name suggests: she shuffles forward on her knees or cuter still, she hops forward and then she flops down on her tummy from the exertion. She'll rest a second or two and then get up and do it all over again till she gets her hands on the desired plaything. She still uses her forehead to leverage herself forwards sometimes but there's less of that now; she's less of a grub more of a rabbit.

Her Hep B and Pneumoccocal shots were due yesterday. Where she was all smiles and acquiescence during her last visit, she made her displeasure very clearly and loudly known this time around. Right after the first needle had gone into her thigh, her face screwed up in a grimace and she emitted an ear-piercing howl. It took a couple of minutes to calm her down and then the doc had to administer the second shot. She let rip a yowl which quickly escalated into an all out scream, not as if she was in pain but more like an I-know-you-did-this-to-me-and-since-you-did-this-a-second-time-this-is-payback-time! kinda scream that could be heard from miles away. Well, according to my mom anyway who stopped by the clinic to hand me some things from work. Yes, our girl knows her mind and it seems she is not afraid to let us know it.

It's going to be a roller coaster ride...


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin