Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Island's Strays

Singapore has a healthy population of stray cats. When I say healthy, I mean that most of these strays have been neutered.


I haven't come across that many street cats in my forays out into the city. Maybe I haven't been walking the alleys enough. They generally hang in and around markets, food courts and the general HDB areas.


Sometimes, when I'm lucky like today, I come across more than one street feline. On my way to the library I spotted a tri-coloured kitty and couldn't resist calling out to her and giving her a rub. Surprisingly, she was very friendly. And then I noticed that her ear was clipped, a universal sign that she'd been neutered. Her friendliness also went to show that she's comfortable among humans, meaning some kind souls have probably been feeding her. Then I found that she wouldn't let me walk off on my own. She took to following me when I started to head off. Finally not able to keep up with me when I crossed the road, she sat down and meowled quite woefully. Smart cat, trying to appeal to my soft spot.


I studiously walked around her on my way back. By then she was still looking in the general direction of where I'd gone but was distracted by a car tire.


On my way towards Shop N Save, I passed by another stray cat, this one a tuxedo beauty, who also had her ear clipped. She was observing human traffic perched atop a stack of plastic chairs. She wasn't too happy that I decided to stop by and pat her head.


Both cats appeared healthy and well-taken care of, even though, with the tip of one ear snipped off, they are clearly strays. Singapore's catch-and-release programme seems to be working much more effectively than KL's.


As usual.



1 comment:

Ling said...

Singapore ma... (1) much smaller area to cover (2) I think the govt supports the program?

Here, the SPCA has to do everything. Without govt funding.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin