Wednesday, September 21, 2005

A Bus Journey

I’m reading a thoroughly interesting book right now: Riding The Bus With My Sister: A True Life Journey by Rachel Simon. It chronicles the adventures of a creative writing professor as she joins her mentally retarded sister on her daily cruises on the city buses for a year.

There’s a blurb on the cover by Rosie O’Donnell, “An amazing book…it touched my soul”, which I didn’t realize was there till after I’d bought it.

I was happily going through the early chapters of the book last night after dinner. The TV was on. Hallmark was showing “Tuesdays with Morrie” and I was alternating between that and the book. Concidentally, I looked up during on intermission and found that I was looking at a trailer with Rosie O’Donnell in it. But first I saw Andie McDowell and I was thinking, “Hey! Rosie O’Donnell! What a coincidence. She’s got a blurb on the cover of this book.”

And then I thought, “Hey, how come Rosie O’Donnell looks like she’s playing a mentally retarded woman? And is Andie McDowell playing her sister?”

As the scenes pan through, I realize, Damn! This looks like it’s mirroring the book I’m reading! There’s Jesse, Beth’s equally retarded boyfriend, and buses…

Huh?

Wow! They made a movie of the book?

The end titles flash and confirm it.

Riding The Bus With My Sister, premieres on Hallmark on Oct 2.

Talk about coincidences.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin