Thursday, November 17, 2005

Magic Carpet

I just fell in love with a RM16,000 carpet from Iran. It’s a pleasant buttery yellow and has the most original floral design. It feels heavenly and the weave of the carpet is such that if you look at the carpet from one end it’s a light yellow and if you view it from the opposite end, all the colours are played up and more vivid. It’s gorgeous. It’s about 3’x4’ and also astronomically out of my budget.

I saw its cousin first: a star-shaped very light cream carpet with hints and shades of pink and peach flowers. Beautiful! The weave is courser than its yellow relative but the shape is exquisite. Both are wool weaves but the yellow stunner has a silk lining. The star cousin is cheaper at RM8000 because of the coarser weave and a cotton lining.

Sigh…both are out of my league.

So I settled for a blue 5.5’ x 7.5’ Belgium machine made copy of a Persian design. The weave is quite fine and quite densely packed. The design is messy (according to Poh Ern). But I like messy; it’s very busy with lots of twirls and swirls and motifs all over the place, but I love the colour. I’m thinking of replacing my living room carpet with this one. It’ll feel nicer and since it’s heavier, won’t be prone to move out of position if the cats run around on it.

If only I could justify buying a RM8000 carpet…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It'll probably be cheaper for you to:

1) buy a ticket to IRAN
2) buy it from IRAN
3) bring it back from IRAN
4) pay the necc taxes etc..

Ashkarya said...

>:p

Blog Widget by LinkWithin