Thursday, February 15, 2007

One day it's there, the next day it's GONE!!

I almost collapsed from a heart attack this morning. I've taken to watering my pots of plants in my driveway in the mornings before I head off to work. My giant bonsai's bed of moss recently started turning brown and threatened to wither up and die from the dry weather, hence the dilligence in watering. I bought the pot complete with lush green moss surrounding the foot of the trunk and almost covering the entire span of the 2' diameter base 2 years ago. Half of that green carpet has turned to brown fur.

Imagine my shock this morning when I discovered not a brown patch in sight, but even the healthy green spots were completely dug up and all that was left were a tangle of roots and earth exposed in their entirety! I could have dropped dead right there on the driveway if not for the fact that I was too shocked and heartbroken to ellicit any response from my body other than a faint sputtering.

"My moss! My beautiful moss!!!"

I initially wondered if any of the stray cats within the area had made a litter of my pot and dug up the earth to cover up their poo but upon watering and not detecting any pong, I ruled that out. The only explanation: my maid had dug up the moss, thinking that it was unwanted, and thrown it away. Why she would have done that after having worked for me for close to a year and not paying any attention to it whatsoever, is beyond my understanding.

When I called her, she confirmed the fact: she'd dug up the pot and thrown the disgusting brown stuff away. Whyyyyyyy???!!!!!

There is no help for it. It's time to go back to what I remember doing as a child, being dragged by my parents around KL city when there was still a racecourse at the current KLCC Twin Towers site. They were bonsai freaks; they'd bring me on their expeditions ot the many drains in and around KL, near the former race course and we'd have a ball digging up the lush green moss from the damp drains.

I think I'd find more than just moss in KL drains now. My uncle claims that his garden has an abundance of moss. I guess I'll find out after our reunion dinner this saturday when we head over and I go equipped with a little spade to transfer some moss to cover my poor naked, exposed bonsai base.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin